Monday, March 12, 2012

You Have to Believe We are Magic...

I remember Olivia Newton John on roller skates surrounded by soft fuzzy lighting...as she sang the theme song to Xanadu...which was appropriately titled Xanadu.  I never really understood the movie...1) I was too young and... 2) because...although Ms. Newton-John was sparkling- the plot and script were not....But...the songs by ELO (Electric Light Orchestra) were...well...electric...and the song "Magic" captured me....

"Building your dream has to start now, there's no other road to take...You won't make a mistake, I'll be guiding you..."  It seems my life...and my work have emulated this theme...I really do believe in the magic of starting over...of choosing a path...following it and believing....I am a true believer...and love nothing more than to prove nay-sayers wrong...after all...I've been doing since I was born...it's a bit of an art form for me....

"From where I stand you are home free, the planets align so rare....There's promise in the air, and I'm guiding you..."  I have always searched for someone who could see the future with me...It's lonely at the top of the mountain...looking at the horizon and yelling to the base for your partner because they don't feel the need to share the view...Each relationship has been a hope of shared vision...and I always chose the fearful ones...people who needed reassurance...people who thought I was exciting....but really didn't want to change...they just wanted to watch me do it....

"Through every turn I'll be near you, I'll come anytime you call...I'll catch you when you fall..."  I always hoped for someone who was strong...and searching...Even though we might both be finding our way...we would hold each other up...and walk together...watching out for each other...Instead...I found myself holding them up...dragging them to the finish line...all the while they were growing angrier...because they really didn't want to be a part of this...they just wanted to observe...me...

"Come take my hand, you should know me, I've always been in your mind....You know I will be kind, I'll be guiding you..."  My dream was that the person I spent the rest of my life with...would trust me and be trustworthy...instead I found myself digging the truth out of them...as they clenched their teeth and fists...all the while I knew that the honesty was a hidden element...in the relationship...and it only revealed itself as I was dragging my belongings out the front door...

So...why...you ask...do I still believe in something that has eluded me my entire life?...Because believing isn't about everything happening picture perfect the first time you envision it...Believing is about holding on to a vision...an idea...and not letting go just because everyone says that you are crazy...Crazy people...dreamers...change the world...they invent things...they cure diseases...they create solutions...and they never stop....

After all...I never thought a man would tremble when he kissed me...and then it happened...

You have to believe we are magic...

No comments:

Post a Comment