Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Truth...The Whole Truth and Nothing...But...

I learned in my childhood that truth was relative...and that had less to do with whether you were telling the truth and more to do with another believing it...Let's face it...if I tell the truth...and you don't believe me....no matter what I do you will think me a liar...

And...what about my perspective on what truth is...I mean...is it truth if there is omission?  And...what type of omission is acceptable?  Is truth supposed to hurt...or should we soften it to not bruise the ego of another?  Can one person represent several truths...and if you don't know all of those truths...are they lying to you?

Truth is a tricky creature...it's very much like viewing a picture in different light settings...In each setting...the picture tells a truth...while other truths sit in the shadows...only to surface when the illumination has changed...Similarly...when aspects of relationships are illuminated...it can feel as if new truths have surfaced...They were always there...just in the shadows...

But...it doesn't have to be that way...everyone has the option of speaking straight...of sharing what is in the shadows...It is amazingly freeing for you and the other person.  If I tell you my truths...you only have to be responsible for your response to those truths...You have all the information needed to make an educated decision...I have shown you respect...in order to receive it in return...

Of course...that is an ideal exchange of mutual respect...and...as we all know...many are not capable of that....sad...but true.  In fact...individuals often lean on the "but" in revelations...they present information and follow it with a but...just like walking...or the caboose on a train...I find that I can handle anything if I receive the truth and not their but....

And that's the truth...the whole truth and nothing...but...


No comments:

Post a Comment