Saturday, February 4, 2012

Wearing my Uncomfortable Clothes....

As I sit here in my baggy sweats...hair piled on top of my head...no make-up...and glasses on...I feel safe.  No one can see me...no one has to care...and I don't have to care that they don't care.  I'm in my own personal space...and it's already been established that my cats are not phased by my appearance or behavior.  I realize though that I have spent most of my life being uncomfortable once I walked outside my door.  I have been uncomfortable in my own skin.  I have been uncomfortable in all of my relationships....because I have lived in fear...

One would think that my early life created my fears...but I'm not so sure.  I have always been afraid that people would discover who I am or how I think or what I come from...I have given up great things in my life for fear that someone would find out the truths of me...Yet...even as I say this...I wonder what it is that is so scary about me that I should hide it...there are no bodies in my basement...my kitchen isn't a meth lab...I don't sell children into slavery or skin puppies and kittens...What I have done is bottle up everything about myself so that when I do enter a new relationship and we are alone...I spill my guts....I talk about all the things that I never talk about...and I overwhelm the other person with...me.

I went to a counselor for a year, at one point in my life, and it was like receiving therapy from Celine Dion.  Not only was she French Canadian, but I never worked through anything because her only concern was that  my heart would go on....that I "trust" her...that I believe she would think about me on her vacation and that I make sure to write out my check at the beginning of our session.  I believe we focused on her fears instead of mine.

About three years ago...I was contacted through classmates.com by the man who assault me when I was seventeen and I panicked....went into a state of shock and my husband said to me, "I thought you were over this.  Didn't you say you went to counseling?"  I believe we were focusing on his fears instead of mine.

As I have been writing...some of the responses I have received have alluded to my reasoning for putting everything "out there"...or back peddling about the fact that they aren't really afraid about what they admitted to me...in the past...they just saw it as an inevitability...they were just being realistic.  I believe they were focusing on not admitting having fears like mine.

You know...it's all bullshit...excuse my bluntness...At night...when we are all alone...and the only thing we can hear is the pounding of our own heart...we all fear something...most likely, many things...and what's even more terrifying is to have someone else admit to fear...admit to weakness...When that happens...we don't think about them...we think about ourselves....about how a turn of our head or blink of our eye will betray us...will tell our truths....

My best friend Jackie, who passed a year ago, used to tell me "never, under any circumstances, let them see you sweat"....and I didn't....I haven't and it hasn't saved me...And, I believe that where ever Jackie is right now...she knows that what I am doing now is braver than anything I've ever done in my life....and that I am blossoming because of it....

This journey is freeing me...allowing me to talk with others about things...other than myself...because that is already taking care of....I don't care who reads this...or what they think...as long as they think...they can dress how they want...speak their mind how they wish...like what I say or dislike it...as long as they feel something...something real...on their terms...because I'm going to do the same...every day...

I may be wearing loose clothing at this moment, when I write...and I may not have a shred of makeup on...but I can tell you...in my life....until the day I die...I will live authentically....never again will I be caught wearing my uncomfortable clothes....

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Our lives seem so similar. I have let go of the past, focus on today and let tomorrow worry about itself. I am at peace and I am comfortable with who I am and perservere through what ever life hands me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life has been quite a journey for me and it seems that the truer I am to myself the closer I get to all the wonderful things it is meant to be. Nothing gives me greater joy than to hear that you feel peace and comfort in the woman you have become...you were always such an amazing and accepting friend to me. I have kept you and Mitzi in my heart for all of these years and hoped only for the best for you...I believe we all have many similarities in our lives...I can't wait to learn all about you...all over again...

      Delete
  2. I believe that most people are scared shitless about one thing or other. Some people show no fear-"never let them see you sweat" and are good at it. It is a useful technique at some times, no doubt about it but when we get too good at it and never let anyone see us sweat, even those who love us unconditionally, we lose touch with ourselves and begin to forget who we are and no longer recognise our pain. I am always in danger of this and have to remind myself constantly to show my fear. Having lived with someone who seemed unafraid of everything and was very judgemental of those of us mere mortals who have fears-rational or irrational-not that it makes much difference..whether it was fear of the dark, being alone, dogs, grasshoppers, whatever..I am very conscious of respecting my fears and my right to them. Still trying to practice "feel the fear and do it anyway". Except for bunge jumping..have absolutely no intention of conquering that one.
    P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that there are some fears that one should have a healthy respect for...I will never swim in chum filled water with Great Whites....Until I do that, you don't need to bungee jump :)

      Delete