Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Risky Business...

When I was a teenager, I couldn't wait to see the movie Risky Business...part of it was Tom Cruise...who..well...has become a bit odd and the other was that just watching the movie was risky business...I wasn't "allowed" to watch it.  It made things all that more exciting....Then my younger sister came home one day and told me that she had seen it...It didn't seem to phase her but I was incensed.  All this time I had wanted to see this movie and feared the wrath of disobedience and my sister just went to a friend's house and watched it like nothing...

Most of my life has been filled with these same situations for me....I'm not supposed to do this or that...I have to stay with the status quo....I have to please my spouse or my "friends"...and if I rebel, I'll lose.  The reality is that I've lost more by playing it safe than I ever did taking risks.  And...when I did lose by playing it safe...it was usually my dignity.

The truth is...I care very much about people...their needs...my affect in their lives...how I often hold someone's future in the balance...but I will take great, flying risks on their behalf and rarely put myself out there for myself.....until now...this blog...this chronicle is one of the riskiest things I have ever done for myself and the irony is that in risking myself...my potential dignity...I have received some of the most amazing responses.....some of the most heartfelt honesty...reminders that we are human...all of us...capable of great things...great pain...great strength and most of it goes unacknowledged....by ourselves....

We have these tremendous voices within us....tremendous light and the ability to move mountains...most of us do it every day...It seems to me that hiding who we are...by not baring ourselves...reaching for the highest star...for the great dreams...truly is the real risky business....

No comments:

Post a Comment