Friday, February 24, 2012

Tossing Out Old Shoes...

As a woman...my thing is shoes and jewelry...sparkly and shiny...and I can't be pulled away.  I'm also a bargain hunter...I love nothing better than to find a jewel among trash.  I take it home...dust it off shine it up and wear it with pride...forever...or until it falls apart.  The other day was no exception...except...I was online...

I went to my favorite site...trusted and true...everything was guaranteed.  As I scrolled through the selections, the choices were vast and varied...I didn't really need new shoes...but there's always the temptation...and I love new shoes...the way they feel...I walk taller...feel beautiful and seem to get a bit more attention...at least until the newness wears off.

About the fifth page...there they were...just my type...perfect...the right look...the right height...just my size...and unusual...they stood out.  I would look fabulous wearing them.  Much to my surprise...the cost was incredibly low...they could be shipped to me easily and...for that matter...I could have them the next day.  I mean really have them...in my hands and be adorned with them before the weekend...it's always nice to have them for a weekend night...I put in my request and was done...

Twenty-four hours later a box sat at my doorstep and I knew this was going to be the one...the pair of shoes that would be worth keeping forever.  I brought them inside and lifted them gently out of the box....ahhh...perfection.  In my increasing excitement...I shoved the shoes onto my feet and began to walk all over....that's when I noticed the slight scuff that I hadn't noticed before...oh well...it's tiny...it won't bother me....

For several months...I wore those shoes...a lot...At first...I couldn't get enough of them...then...maybe once a week...Slowly...they seemed to lose their gleam...becoming cumbersome...I started to notice things about them that I didn't like...the height wasn't quite as high as I had thought before...they seemed to fit too tightly...and...they looked fatter...like they got wide...

I found it irritating that the more I used the shoes...the more they looked used...they couldn't seem to hold up to all the pressure I was putting on them...and...in my irritation...it seemed unnecessary to put them away nicely...like I had before...it was perfectly acceptable to kick them aside...after all...they were showing wear....and there were so many other shoes out there that I could get for a bargain...And...although...I could have taken the shoes to someone to be fixed...shaped up...and refurbished....I thought...why?...it might be cheaper and easier to just throw them out and start over with another pair of shoes....so I did...

It is so odd how people have become like shoes...we worship them until they bore us...or begin to show wear from our demands...we walk all over them....and expect them to stay shiny...fresh...new...Relationships have become just another thing that can be shopped for online...tried on quickly and cheaply...and then when we're done....

It's just like tossing out old shoes....

No comments:

Post a Comment