Saturday, February 25, 2012

Searching for Arrowheads...

Early this morning, I set out to search for arrowheads....It was very exciting for me...something I had never done before and I always wanted to do...You see, I love history of everything...and the unique...I also love to treasure hunt.  So, I did.  For four hours...I searched several places that have been known to offer up wonderful discoveries...

Since I was walking the entire field....I had to step carefully around all the BS...because where ever there is a field...in this country I live in and in any country...there is always BS...

Now...the goal was to find an arrowhead...it's simple...everyone knows what they are supposed to look like...and on the right day...they should be everywhere that I was looking.  I wanted the perfect one...I imagined it...I visualized it...I asked the universe for one.  I walked slowly...tentatively...careful searching with a watchful eye...and I had decided that I would only take home the perfect one....

But...very quickly I discovered that I found myself excited over several unusual rocks...I mean they were really interesting...but then...this wasn't what I was here for?...But...they were different...maybe I'd just keep them for awhile...unless...of course...I found another that was more interesting...more exciting...or the arrowhead...

Then I started to find bones...I mean they were everywhere...and teeth and a jawbone...Wait a minute...I wasn't out here to find bones...what was I doing?...Well...maybe I'd just hang onto a couple of the bones...they wouldn't take up much space...they were unexpected...surely I was meant to find them because they were right in my path...and...after all...they were disposable...if I found my arrowhead...

Then I found a couple pieces of glass...milk glass...porcelain...glazed...not an arrowhead...but it was very exciting...I held those for a bit too...but then they really weren't what I was searching for...and I was already holding rocks...bones...and teeth....and the rocks were scratching my phone up...damaging my belongings...and they were weighing me down...it's difficult to keep going when you are carrying an unexpected heavy load...So...along with the glass and porcelain...I dropped a couple of rocks....and I started to notice that a couple of the others didn't look as wonderful next to the bones and the teeth...but...wait a minute...I still needed to look for my arrowhead...

Oh thank goodness...I found what looked like an arrowhead...I held it up to the light and turned it in my hand...Yes...if I closed one eye...it definitely was an arrowhead...a broken arrowhead...or maybe an unfinished one...yes...unfinished but with potential to be an arrowhead...but so close to what I was looking for that I might be able to tell everyone that I had found an arrowhead...I mean it was really close...you have know idea...how close...

But as I sit at home now...I look at all the treasures I picked up on my journey today and they all are really just what they are...rocks...bones...teeth...and chipped rocks that could be arrowheads...or they could just be rocks that I imagine are something that I say that I am actively searching for....they are not pretending to be anything more than they are...it's only my mind that decides whether they are treasures or not....and why am I so easily distracted from searching for that one amazing arrowhead?  Is it that I find beauty in unusual places...or that I want so badly to find something wonderful that I will attach that description to anything that attracts my attention?

I don't know what the answer is...and I came up with full hands but empty on my quest....at the end of the day...having stepped in my fair share of the BS out there...I'm guessing that I will find my perfect one when I'm not distracted...I'm not focused on making a discovery or finding a treasure....It will be when I least expect it...and it will not jump right out at me....it won't be when I'm looking....

I'll find my treasure when I'm not searching for arrowheads.....

2 comments: