Thursday, January 19, 2012

Damaged Goods.....

Last night, I sat with a 37 year old man, a client of mine, and explained to him that he was developmentally disabled and that he had probably been that way since birth, because his mother was actively using drugs when she was pregnant with him.  His eyes filled with tears, as I careful shared this information...head in hands, he whispered, "That's why I'm damaged."  It was clear he had heard that before.

Not that long ago, I was working with a group of incarcerated men, in a state prison, who were dealing with, among other things, surviving childhood sexual abuse and severe trauma.  During one of the sessions, a young man burst into tears and cried out, "What am I supposed to do?  Who will ever love me?  I'm damaged goods."  Who called him that first?

Another time, I was in a restaurant with the man who would one day be my ex husband and my aunt leaned across the table, while grasping my hand and said  to him, "Take care of Mickie.  She's very special.  She's been damaged.  It's a miracle she survived."  The humiliation was immense and my body burned, as my self worth fled the room...as my aunt verbally gave him the license to think little of me and expect even less.  I'm in my forties, moderately successful, intelligent, a college graduate and, if you could get one of my family to speak to you about me, they would tell you straight up "she's damaged goods."

I wonder who came up this terminology.  Was it a man or woman standing by a broken keg of ale or crate of pigeons on a dock, in the 1400's, trying to sell it, and the potential buyer said, "Thou canst sell that to me.  I will not purchase, whilst it is damaged goods."  And, right at that moment, a man hobbled by on a wooden leg...the leg fell off...he fell over and the potential buyer cried, "Thy damaged goods are the same as that man."  So, from that moment on, throughout the ages, if something falls apart for a person, visible or invisible, if they lose something of emotional value or if something is taken from them, they...forever...become property....with no soul....that no one should want...

For years, I have grieved over being "damaged goods", and, now after several obliterated relationships, I'm wondering why I am "damaged goods" and they are not.  I'm wondering why, if our bodies have the amazing power regeneration...and life is the ultimate do-over, that the human race decided to use permanent magic marker to X out the value of a person's soul, for something that was probably beyond their control.

What is the definition of "damaged goods?"  I've hear it applied to people....a lot....How is the honor of labeling someone with that title doled out?  And, how much of that title has to do with the person labeled, or does it just make the labeler feel immensely superior and better about themselves?

My aunt is cruel to people...she makes people cry...literally.  Individuals run from her presence; yet, she labels me damaged.  Yes, I have experienced horrible things....things that make others not know what to say; but, I don't do those things to others.  My issues don't look any different than friends who come from "perfect" families.  When I feel lonely and down...I eat a pint of ice cream just like any other woman and comfort food like a man.  In fact, I have a tough time convincing the average person that I'm anything but just like everybody else....

My baggage is the same size and shaped as everyone I pass...every day....and that baggage, at some point, ends up on a conveyor belt...just like everybody else...sometimes it gets sent to another city...or someone picks through it...just like everyone else.  Yes, there a few pieces that are currently duct taped...but then there's such a variety of tape available...and it's just temporary...all will eventually be fixed...just like everyone else...

I prefer to see myself as dented right now...after all, it really is my choice, not anyone else's, to see myself that way or to go through life as damaged goods....

13 comments:

  1. We are all damaged goods, not a single one of us is undamaged. I'm proven damaged goods because I've done some things good for our country. I think you are a rockstar diva for all the work you do and I praise you for that!

    You are definitely a good catch, a tough cookie, and a true leader. Don't be down on yourself; however, reflection is healthy, it's the release that can be damaging if one is not careful.

    Mickie Rocks!

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries...this is just an observation/reflection and maybe a bit anger that the term is even used. I hate it and I don't feel it applies to anyone. I do believe that you have emerged as an amazing voice and true leader for Vets and a kick ass person....You Rock!!!

      Delete
  2. I know.."damaged goods"..isn't it terrible the things we come out with so glibly? I remember when I first heard the term "disfunctional family" and wondered "who doesn't have some disfunction in their life? If not now then some time in the past or future".
    This is a good reminder to stop using these stereotypes and get past looking at people as "damaged" or "disfunctional". Especially for those of us in the so-called helping professions!
    P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can say is Amen...these stereotypes are right up there with the term "normal"...what is that? Who really defines "normal"? I think it is an unfortunate part of human nature...to categorize...we either feel the need to put someone in a category or we, ourselves, feel boxed in by a category. I have no use for that anymore...no one should be put in a box...Thanks for your thoughts P!

      Delete
  3. Who wants to be normal anyway!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer "Beautifully Broken".. Boof

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have chosen "Seasoned..."...sometimes it makes you too sweet for one person or too salty for another...maybe a bit too spicy and you have to tone it down a tad; but, it all adds up to flavor...what makes us different in a beautiful way. We just have to find our niche. You don't eat Cajun food at IHOP...and no one goes to a Cajun restaurant to order pancakes...We have to be willing find our fit ;)

      Delete
  5. I spent a lot of time working through my childhood sexual abuse, feeling like damaged goods and whatnot. Then I learned a saying that helps tremendously whenever I remember it: You would not worry about what other people think about you if you knew how seldom they really do. Whenever I think of that it puts a lot of perspective on what I think of myself vs what I think other people might think of me. Then I segue to the idea that I am damaged only if I allow myself to see me that way. It does wonders for my self esteem in a way that no preaching from someone else can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you are right about how little others think about us...and, at the end of the day, we often project what others will think of us. So, if we decide that we're going to move forward in life and be ok...then others will believe us... I think you are amazing!

      Delete
  6. The thing for me is that I know that I am damaged goods and for the life of me can't figure out when it happened. I don't believe that I was born damaged but shortly thereafter something happened that has shaped the way that I make connections. I know that when I was very young around age three my dad was gone for awhile and came back and I was painfully shy of making any contact or connection with him. The way I mostly am today. My dad was in the service and seemed to be gone alot anyways. About 5 years ago I come to find out that my parents were separated during that time and that is why he was gone. Something happened in between that time as we were living with my grand ma in Phoenix and I don't know what. Maybe just the trauma from him being gone. I don't remember if my parents fought but I think I am blocking some memory from that time. I don't know?

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, here's my perspective and thoughts on what you've shared...I don't believe that the term "damaged goods" is fair to us or anyone...flaws, dents, scratches...things that can be refurbished, repaired or accentuated because they are beautiful are more fair to us...as human beings...not meant to be perfect...be kind to yourself...

    As for your struggles with connecting...I think you probably do have some things to work through...trauma is relative and very personal...and children are sponges...they pick up tones...subtleties...innuendos...vibrations and then translate it with their child minds...based on where they are in their development stage....example, dad leaves mom...nothing is said...age of child...the "me" stage...daddy left me...It's more complex than my explanation, but that gives you an idea of how things can become very twisted for a child...then years later...there is the adult sabotaging their own life...replaying what they knew to be true, when they were young.

    Last of all, Mark, what do you want in your life?...for yourself (rhetorical question)...I'm working on that too..for me...cleaning out my closets...figuring out what I want and what I don't...and very slowly making a tentative list...I have some really great books that I am using to work through all of this...let me know if you are interested in the titles...and start talking about it...write it out...whatever you can do to pull those covers off what is ..."eating" you...I'm no Einstein, but I know about parasitic secrets that eat you alive...you deserve to live life to its' fullest friend...on your own terms.

    ReplyDelete