Saturday, June 23, 2012

I Yam What I Yam...

For some odd reason...I loved watching Popeye when I was a kid...I don't have a predisposition for sailors...It's sort of a boy's cartoon...and Olive Oyle...was not attractive...so...it wasn't my goal to emulate her...but...nevertheless...I was drawn to Popeye...and his ability to commit to action...and never apologize for that commitment...He also ate a lot of spinach...

I liked the way he powered up...for tough situations...That he remained faithful to...well...a woman who had the forced potential to be a wallflower...and he still was not perfect...Let's face it...he lost Sweetpea all the time...Why I remember all of this is beyond me...or maybe not...I march to the beat of my own drum...I only cook with olive oil...I call my cat my little sweetpea...and I eat a lot of spinach too...

So...it seems only logical that I would also never apologize for my commitment to my passions...what I believe in...or believing others...in a way that transcends all adversity...including my own...This past year...has brought me to a place...where I refuse to apologize for my actions...for my weaknesses...and for excelling...in what I do...Popeye never knocked a bad guy for a loop...and then said...oh I'm so sorry for stopping you from making everyone miserable...Spinach or no spinach...he just didn't put up with nonsense...why should I?

Just like Popeye's biceps...I realize that sticking to my guns...makes me stand out...in a way that is not always comfortable...but really...who cares...I often wonder if people find certain behavior uncomfortably real...because they feel that it is a personal statement against them...I wonder if status quo makes others feel satisfied...because someone else going against the grain...might suggest that they are scared...scared of risking...embarrassment...awkwardness...or making mistakes...but then...isn't it a greater mistake to stand still and allow the water to remain calm...

I don't claim to have all the answers...hell...I might be lucky if I have two correct answers...in my lifetime...but the only thing that I will ever apologize for again...in my endeavors...is hurting another person...I will never stop rocking the boat...everyone is invited to the gun show...that I'm sticking by...I'm not sorry for my failures...or my successes...and powering up for my next challenge...is just a can of spinach away...

So...don't like me...don't like my tactics...don't like my creativity...don't like my risk taking...don't like my vulnerability...I like me...I love me...I'm not perfect...and I wouldn't want to be...how boring...and unimaginative...how fascinating life is...with all of it's imperfections and colors...and with all the words to describe my essence...I think Popeye said it best...

I yam what I yam...

No comments:

Post a Comment