Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Insignificant Others...

Life is filled with significant moments...there is the day we are born...our first day of school...puberty...our first fight...or the time we threw up tomato soup...out of our nose...we remember these things...either with embarrassment...or with fondness...As we grow older...we accrue...significant people...our parents...grandparents...friends...and lovers...We continue grow...change...and soon enough...we reach our Indian Summer...it is there that we make pivotal decisions...will I stay with this person...will I embark on a lone journey...and possibly...will I ever find anyone... Even if on the surface...if you think you want to be alone...deep...deep down...those questions will be asked...and those questions...will break hearts...or fill them with love...

I have spent a lifetime...constantly aware of these...significant moments...and the people attached...As a woman with no family left...people have been most important to me...and although...I constantly struggle to understand...all the nuances of relationships...I have always found it difficult to let things go...to let people walk away...when they are no longer...well...wanting to be there...

The past four years...have left me...questioning the significance...of all the events that transpired...of my reactions...and responses...and even...my purpose in life...I have reached out...to find my path...to reconstruct...my life...to fill the emptiness...of loss...and to reconnect...with anything...or anyone...who I had unfinished emotional business with...and I cried...deeply...and soulfully...for all that I didn't understand...about those who I felt were significant...in my life...then...when I felt that my heart...had met its conclusion...I met someone...

Unexpectedly...after I'd stopped looking...stopped trying everything...and I was sure...that my journey ...was quite finished...now that...I was going home...significantly changed...my glass heart...broken...with all its sharp edges...glistening in the light...I felt had dimmed...in my eyes...and a newly set barbed wire fence...to protect what I had left...after all my significant moments...and people...had done their worst...and I was just standing still...he stepped onto my path...

The moment was not significant...at first...it was just another interaction...and my quiet bitterness said...oh...he's just passing through...he won't be any different...than all the others...who had significantly...affected my heart...and I tried my hardest...to believe...that he was insignificant...that this was not a person...who might change everything...who might...even change me...

The fact is...I am changing all the time...but the one constant...in my life...has been fear...and there has never been an intimate relationship...for me...that didn't have a significant amount of it...until now...until he...reached in...into my heart...to a place that I believed...had no room left...that place that believed...I would always struggle...with the fear of someone entering...or exiting...

Tonight...as I drove...to my home...for only nine more days...I didn't think about being alone...I didn't worry...that he would leave...I didn't stress...that he would discover...that I am not worthy...or that I have imperfections...I only felt...not still...but a stillness...a peace...and a deep passionate warmth...love...that I have never experienced before...that I only believed was possible...but feared I would never know...and...although...I am a woman...who looks for the significance...in all moments...I realized that this man...was not my significant person...but that we...he and I...found significance in each other...by accident...and...in a world...of disposable people...and transient relationships...we...together...significantly believe in love...even though we are filled with perfect imperfections...and weaknesses...and vulnerabilities...

I suppose...one could try and pinpoint...what exactly is significant about he and I...even we try...to label...or name...what we have discovered...in each other...I wish I had the words...to define...in greater terms...than simple love...but what we have found...is not complicated...All I know...is that the significance of our coming together...is that the moment...we saw each other...everything else began to fade away...and our path...together...was clear...and...suddenly...not overshadowed by all those...

...insignificant others...

No comments:

Post a Comment