Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Tortoise or the Hare...

Often my most important moments happen...in the shower...I don't know if my head clears...or the surprising...lack of hot water...opens my mind...but...so it was a week ago...I have not posted for several weeks...the holidays...entrances...and exits...have occurred...and...I haven't been able to formulate words...it happens...from time to time...but a week ago...the curtain...in my mind...was pulled back...and I was struck by these thoughts...

My last post...was about nursery rhymes...how I connected with them...and saw myself through them...I began thinking about the importance of morality tales...rhyming allegories...and parables...in my life...I did not grow up with parents...who taught me much...beyond what not to do...so I turned to these...stories...to...hmmm...guide me...cradle me...in my development...a long time ago...I stopped turning to them for answers...until recently...

Aesop was a slave...in Greek times...it is debated...about his ethnicity and origin...but his simple...and wise philosophies...have been passed down through the ages...one that is burned in my memory...is the Tortoise and the Hare...

It seems that there was a tortoise and a hare...and they were in a race...the gist is...that the hare lost...because...his energy was spent...on the beginning of the race...so convinced that he would win...because of who he was...and the tortoise...remained focused...and won...because of his willingness...to continue on the course...and not worry about the end...but look to the journey...as a compass and touchstone...if it were...to lean on...for his confidence...

I've been thinking...about my duality...of tortoise...and hare...even though I loved the story...and understood the moral...I have spent most of my life...being the hare...fast to respond...quick to move...believing I would accomplish much...not waiting for all things to reveal themselves to me...This year...I have been forced...then...became centered...on identifying with the tortoise...I've stood still...a great deal...I've requested...the room...to take my time...to allow life to open naturally to me...and moved in a paced...and maybe...a boring...style...creating a deep and eternally grateful sense...of dignity...within myself...as chaos has swirled...as I watched...and everything has been revealed...while I plodded along...

So...here I lay...dumbfounded...as once again...I have entered a race...an experience race...and I am moving forward...but the other participant...has lost their steam...their desire...their will...to complete the mission...and...I am so very thankful...that I move slowly...even though...this is a lonely place...in any race...when you are pacing yourself...

There is a part of me...that habitually wants to blame me...as I have always done...in the past...and berate myself...for not responding fast enough...not answering the way that they wanted me to...not running at a crazy pace...not throwing all caution to the wind...but...truthfully...I want the wind at my back...pushing me along...not lifting me off the ground...to drift aimlessly...in a torrent...that rips me limb from limb...

I realize...that the steady path...often means you travel alone...and I want...oh...I want someone at my side...but I can't lose time...lose myself...with someone who does not see the end result...of me...what I have to offer...and even...as I feel my sense of longing growing...and the finish line...so far away...I ask myself again...what do I wish to be...a flash in the pan or everlasting flame...

...the tortoise or the hare...

No comments:

Post a Comment