Wednesday, August 22, 2012

I'm Picking Up What You're Putting Down...

I say it all the time...Someone will make a statement...look to me to respond...and I will...I'm picking up what you are putting down...mutual understanding...It's been almost a week of working with the 140 bright...shiny faced students...brilliant...irrepressible charm and energy...and eager...to learn...to succeed...to be seen...I chose to connect with them through writing...anything...everything...and I did...I'm doing it...

Three days...and I'm in...for the most part...Lots of questions...lots of concerns...lots of wonderment...all from them...and from me too...But each interaction...is a silent acknowledgement of my understanding...my picking up the spirit stick of support for them...They see i... and respond...and I respond to their response...

Ms. Lewis...I don't understand...do you understand what I mean?...I'm picking up what you are putting down...

Ms. Lewis...I'm not sure I know how to do this...do you hear me asking for your help?....I'm picking up what you are putting down...

Ms. Lewis...I don't want anyone one to know that I can't read...can you help me without drawing attention?...I'm picking up what you are putting down...

Ms. Lewis...I'm a Senior and I'm in a Sophomore class...I'm picking up what you are putting down...

Ms. Lewis...All our teachers leave...will you?...I'm picking up what you are putting down...

Ms. Lewis...I just want to pass...do you think you can help me do that?...I'm picking up what you are putting down....

Ms. Lewis...I'm in foster care...and I don't want anyone to know...I'm picking up what you are putting down...

Ms. Lewis...I'm silent...but I'm listening...please don't give up on me...I'm picking up what you are putting down...

Ms. Lewis...I think I might want to be just like you...is that possible?...I'm picking up what you are putting down...

Ms. Lewis...I'm difficult...can you work with that?...I'm picking up what you are putting down...

Ms. Lewis...I have a bad attitude...but I'm not bad...I'm picking up what you are putting down...

Ms. Lewis...I don't know how to write anything good about myself...I've never heard anything to draw from...I'm picking up what you are putting down...

The list goes on and on...and on...I suppose I should be overwhelmed...but I'm not...I'm honored...honored that in three short days...they would start to show me this...that they would reach out...even in silence...or loud outbursts...just a little bit of resilience left...placed in front of me...I wonder at their belief that I deserve this...I'll do this...I'm not leaving...I'm not their parent...their sibling...their counselor...I'm just a teacher...but don't you worry honey...you can call yourself names...you can try to stop believing in yourself...I won't stop...I won't give up ...I won't walk away...I'll be here...until I can't stand any longer...no matter what painful labels...you put on yourself...

I'm picking up what you're putting down...

No comments:

Post a Comment